Over the corresponding weeks, I have been practicing making low poly models for a Wacky Races style race track that my team was tasked with. We had to create a small part of a race track with at least one vehicle featured in it. Each model had to be under 1000 tris (triangle faces). My job was to work on the vehicles. I also worked on the trees for the environment. The environment wasn’t my main job but it was something that I assisted in. I started in making concept art for my vehicle designs before actually getting to work on the models.
The sports car was inspired by Sonic’s car in the Sonic & All Stars Racing games. I didn’t want it to look basic so I included some patterns to it with headlights acting as eyes. The model consists 474 verts, 1056 edges, 576 faces, 960 tris and 1020 UVs. I used a fair amount of booleans, extrusions and triangulate/quadrangulate in making may model.
This vehicle was based on the monopoly car. I included the top hat as well a funny little moustache and eye glass on to the car to give it its own personality. I have also included some red and white lines as well as the words ‘Monobile’ on the sides (Unfortunately, I wrote Monobile backwards). This vehicle wasn’t as big as the other car with 398 verts, 855 edges, 470 faces, 778 tris and 918 UV’s.
The final piece of modelling that I worked on was the tree. I made this out of three shapes: two cylinders and a sphere with the amount of faces decreased. The design is rather basic, I mainly just moved the vertex’s out to make it an imperfect shape. I used a ramp shader on the leaves to make a cartoony look to the tree. The model contains 191 verts, 410 edges, 221 faces, 378 tris and 360 UV’s.