At the current point of time, I have been spending a lot of time working on my robot for the creative and technical model which is also part of my imagined worlds project. It has been a rather difficult process to try to get the robot model looking how I wanted it to.
First of all, I needed to sort out the UV map. The image above is the UV map for the robot models arm. I had used “automatic” to unwrap the UV’s which can be found in the “UV” window. I clicked on the “mesh” tab then click on “cleanup” option which cleans up the mesh. Then I went into the UV map and clicked on “Polygons” tab and clicked on the box next to “Layout” and changed the packing resolution to 2048 with the “Pack Together” option ticked. I have mirrored/duplicated the arm so this UV map will apply to both arms and the textures will work on both. I have used this method for the legs as well and the body and head ahs its own UV map. I have given different segments of the body their own UV map to make texturing easier.
Next, I had to parent each part of the low poly model to the correct limb (finger to the lower arm then lower arm to elbow, etc.) by clicking on that limb, hold shift and click the part that it is being parented to and press “p” on the keyboard. Parenting objects together allows you to control one object and affect both the parent and the child. Say if you parented an lower arm to the upper arm, if you rotate the upper arm then the lower will move with it. Similar to the combine mesh function only if you select the lower arm, you will control it separately and rotating it around won’t affect the upper arm.
I also had to name each model part of both the high and low poly models (head, body, legs, shoulder, arms, etc.). Both models needed to have the body parts’ names match with the only difference being that the low poly model parts had to end with “_Low” and the high poly ending with “_High”. This is necessary for baking the high poly model onto the low. Both models had 66 parts to name so I had to rename 132 body parts to rename overall.
Once that everything was sorted, I applied different lamberts to the different group UV and renamed the material to the section that it would texture (this is just to separate the UVs in Substance Painter so grouped UVs such as the arms only have the arm UV, etc.) I selected the model and exported it as an FBX, ready to import into Substance Painter.
The image above shows my model in Substance Painter. As you can see that there is 5 layers which allows me to select and texture each group parts and hide parts such as the body so I can see and texture any parts that inside that model such as the wires and battery. As you may see, the robots right arm is rather transparent in Substance Painter, I’m not sure as to why it is like that and I have tried; making sure that the names are matched, mirroring and duplicating the left arm and making sure that the UV maps where laid out right and nothing seemed to work. I decided to leave the arm be and texture the model. Since the right arm is a duplicate of the left, I had hoped that the right arm wouldn’t be affected when I apply it back into Maya.
With my model baked, I then moved on to applying textures onto my model. I started by adding fill layers on my UV and changed the colour so my model colour looked like how I would like it to look then right clicked on the fill layer and added a black mask on it. This allowed me to select the fill tool and apply the colour onto the UV that I wanted it on by clicking on the UV. Then I created a normal layer and selected the brush tool which allows you to paint on the model. I clicked on the “alpha” in the brush settings and search for “dirt” and clicked on the dirt brush that I liked along with changing the colour to make it look more like dirt.
Here is my model after I textured it. The right arm is still rather not working properly. I then decided to export the texture file. I went onto the “File” tab and clicked on Export textures.
This menu loads up and I edit the settings so that the texture files go where I want and change the configurations to where it is I want to export the textures to. Since the textures are going to be imported into Maya, I selected Arnold 4 (AiStandard). To finish the process I clicked on export.
Going back to the low poly model, I need to apply the textures which requires Arnold plug in. Arnold may not always be activated so if Arnold doesn’t show up in the tab. Then you will need to go on the “windows” tab, select “settings/preferences” and click on “plug-in manager”. After this, scroll down to “ATFPlugin.mll” and tick the boxes for it. Then I applied a new material, clicked on “Arnold” and selected “Aistandard”. Then I needed to apply the texture files to the material by clicking on the black and white square logo on the parts that require that file such as the file the has diffuse in the name to the diffuse colour or the file ending with normal to the bump map option. I needed to apply the material to each grouped body part sections to the textures so it wouldn’t mess up and the textures would go in the right place.
The battery texture I had to take a UV screenshot an texture it through Photoshop since I couldn’t manage to apply it in Substance Painter. I wasn’t sure what I was doing wrong so this seemed to be the best way around it. The next stage was rigging my model. I mainly rigged the arms and legs so that I could us the IK handle to make animating the arms and legs easier. I created joints tin the arms and legs then constrained using a pole vector before creating an IK handle and moving it so a position that the knee will bend.