Creative and technical model Submission

This blog is a submission post for the creative and technical model project that I have been working on.

C&T Model submission

I had a rather comfortable time making the concept art for the model as well as modelling it.  The basic shapes makes the toy like look work, it’s not too complex but enough to make it work.  Bevelling the high poly model  to add extra detail into the model whilst giving the low poly enough detail to make the basic model template to work.  I had complications on the later aspects modelling. Parenting, baking, and texturing the model.

I had named each individual parts of both the low poly model and the high poly model, 66 separate model parts for each complete robot model. The low poly model was UV unwrapped and grouped in to different sections which  contains their own UV group; the head, body, arms, leg and battery with wires. I had cleaned up the model before laying out the UV’s. I had to be sure that the names of the individual models on the high and low poly matched up for the baking process. Then I needed to parent each of the parts together so that I can animate the body parts in a group when moving one part then move the child parts without affecting the parent. I had to import the model into Substance Painter for baking and texturing and this is where I started having issues. For some reason, the thumbs seemed rather shiny so I tried to see what might be causing the issue. I checked and the entire right arm was rather transparent for some reason.

I had made sure that the names where matched, duplicated and mirrored the left arm so it matched, made sure that there wasn’t anything wrong with the model itself but nothing seemed to work. I decided to try to ignore the issue in hopes that the texture would work properly on both arms since they were duplicated. This did end up working once I imported the textures into Maya and both arms where fine.

I was also having some difficulty rigging the model for animation purposes. Only the knees needed rigging  really so that it would be easier to animate bending the knees. I don’t think that the arms needed rigging but I thought that it would make animating easier which it ended up being a rather of a challenge to do since some parts of the model ended up being parented with the wrong object and having some trouble parenting the joint with the object.

Next time I create a high to low poly model, I should remember to rename the model segments once it has been set and before I create the next polygon for the model. I also need to be careful in case I accidently duplicate polygons and make sure that everything is parented correctly. I should be sure to remember of UV unwrapping as soon as a limb is made  and duplicate it when I need another.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s