Catacomb project update

Through the past few days, I have been continuing to work on my models for the Synoptic Project.  Updating the look, textures, and testing them out in Unity before uploading them to the Google Drive so my team mates have them available to put into the game.  My most recent model is a vase that can be used for decoration in some of the rooms.

Vase ss

vase ss 2

Vase wireframe

This is how my vase model looks untextured within Maya. I created the stand with a cube polygon and the rest of the vase was made with the cylinder polygon. I used bevelling and mirror tools. The stand I had connected the edges to form a line in the middle of my model then lined up the vertical edges of the vase so that the middle of both models could meet for mirroring before combining the models together. I deleted half of the model before sorting out the UV’s so that the textures would match both sides whilst not taking up too much space to affect my game.

Vase render 1

Vase render 2

Vase render 3

I have textured the model in Substance Painter and this is one of the ways that I have textured it.  I have two different texture maps for the model to give it a variety in looks. This texture gives it a more new and shiny look to the model.  I have the different textures as two save files to separate them so I can apply the different textures to a version of the  model in game.

Vase 2 render 1

Vase 2 render 2

Vase 2 render 3

This is my second texture for the vase. I have given it a more dirty look for this type of vase.  With it being in the catacombs, I wanted it to have a more dirty and old look to it.  The vase isn’t polished or clean or shiny like the other vase was. It is also darker than the original vase textures. I experimented with this model by adding texture images to smart materials that I apply the model.

Some of the other models I had to re-export the textures from Substance painter and have the it set to export to “Unity 5 (standard metallic)” as I originally had them set to “Arnold 4 (Aistandard)” so it would be easier to apply the textures into Unity.  I had also rendered my models in Substance Painter and sent them to the Google Drive.

Arm render 1

Arm render 3Arm render 2

Lantern lit render 1Lantern lit render 2

lantern-render-1.png

Lantern render 2

skull render 1skull render 3

Here are the renders for my models. It was a awkward process since the models didn’t look like they were properly rendered during the process but when I pressed on “save render” the render looked fine and didn’t have the dots like it did during the rendering process. Unity model test

Unity model test 2

Unity model test 3

This is how my models looked when I tested them inside Unity. The textures are working well, I haven’t found any real issues with the models nor the textures. Applying the normal map to the material with the textures on had a rather weird result but it was because it wasn’t classed as a map which could be easily fixed by pressing the “fix now” button nearby the “normal map” section.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s